Sunday, May 29, 2022

Back to the Easel

 It's been a while since I've done some easel painting, I've been mostly doing the line and wash sketches and pen and ink drawings.  Recently I decided it was time to get back to the easel.  

I decided to finish up a couple automotive paintings I'd started and abandoned previously. These paintings are done primarily with thick brushwork.  I mix thick matt gel with blending medium and mixed that into my paint mixtures to get a thick paint that doesn't dry too fast.  I finished off the paintings with a few palette knife strokes as well.  I kept the backgrounds abstract and the cars themselves very loose.  I was shooting for strong contrasts to make the compositions really stand out.

The first painting I finished is of a red 1932 Ford coupe hot rod with a yellowish background.

painting art automotive 1932 Ford hot rod
"Red 1932 Ford Coupe Hot Rod" Acrylic, 12" X 12"

The second painting was a red 1932 Packard classic luxury car a blue-violet background.

painting art automotive 1932 Packard classic car
"Red 1932 Packard" Acrylic, 12" X 16"

I enjoyed painting with the thick brush style and will probably continue to explore this style/technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment