Sunday, September 24, 2017

Charcoal Studies

I've recently started making charcoal studies before making a painting.  Charcoal allows for a very quick exploration of composition and values with a little more detail than a thumbnail and they can become finished works in their own right.

charcoal drawing landscape art mountain hay field farm
Click on image to enlarge

"Rural Landscape Study"

9" X 12", Charcoal on paper
Original - $100
Prints Available

This study is based on a photo I took in rural Sanpete county in central Utah.  I think it's a good representation of the open agricultural land you find there.  I started a painting of this but it wasn't turning out, I might return to it some day and try again.  They can't all be winners.

art landscape nature marsh wetland drawing charcoal
Click on image to enlarge

"Ogden Valley Marsh Study"

8" X 10", Charcoal on Paper
Original - $80
Prints Available

Late in the summer season Pineview Reservoir in Ogden Valley, Utah drops low enough that some of the outlying areas become marshes.  I took the photo this charcoal sketch is based on during autumn one year and there was a small stream meandering down to the reservoir through a marshy field, I knew I'd do something with that some day, so here is the sketch.  I've also done a painting based on this sketch and will share it at a later date.


Visit David King Studio Prints!




No comments:

Post a Comment