Monday, May 11, 2020

Daily Sketch Challenge May 2020 Day 9-11

I really should post these updates more often, but at least I am doing it.

pen watercolor sketch daily scrub oak nature
Day 9 - Scrub Oak - Daily Sketch Challenge May 2020

On a summer evening some years ago I ventured up to the east bench of the Salt Lake Valley with a small set of pastels and hiked a little bit up the Mount Olympus trail and did a bit of outdoor painting.  I also took some photos and this sketch is based on one of those.  There really isn't much red rock in northern Utah but there is a bit on the east bench of the valley.

charcoal drawing sketch abandoned granary overgrown
Day 10 - Abandoned Granary - Daily Sketch Challenge May 2020

I toned a piece of hot pressed watercolor paper with sepia watercolor before drawing this little scene of an abandoned metal granary with charcoal.  You see these little cylindrical metal granaries all over rural Utah and they are often abandoned, left to be reclaimed by Mother Earth, or maybe cut up for scrap some day.  Looks like the former is the case for this one, as the vegetation appears to be slowly swallowing it.  I found this little scene in some small farm town near Tremonton, Utah.

abandoned pen watercolor Chevy truck pickup

I can't pinpoint exactly why but I really enjoy abandoned vehicle scenes. I find scenes like this one especially interesting, where the abandoned vehicle is so obviously slowly returning to earth, this one is even being hosting a small tree.  I discovered this little scene in Mcbride's Auto Wrecking in Grantsville, Utah.  I was fortunate to be able to spend a couple hours wandering their yard photography dozens of similar scenes. Unfortunately McBride's is no longer there, the victim of questionable city politics, housing developments pay much more in taxes than junkyards.

No comments:

Post a Comment