Sunday, January 24, 2016

Back to the Classroom

It's become kind of a thing for me now, attending a weekly class during winter.  Since I work full time it's hard to work attend one of those week long workshops put on by professional artists, usually in another state, which means traveling time and expenses to boot.  So, instead I find a local artist I like who holds classes on a weeknight.  Last winter I attended classes with Candace Rideout  Getting input from a more advanced artist can be very helpful and keep you from falling into a rut.  After a while it's easy to miss fundamental issues that could be resolved to make your art that much better. 
Something as simple as repetitious patterns can seem invisible until someone else points them out.  Another advantage to attending classes is the opportunity to meet other student artists and feed off of each other's energy, everybody has something unique and valuable to contribute.  This winter I started attending classes with Susan Jarvis.  I've attended classes with Susan in the past but it's been over two years, I decided it would be worthwhile to go back.  This painting is the result;

art painting landscape mountain aspen tree autumn fall foliage

"Kings of Autumn"

Acrylic, 24" X 12" on 3/4" deep cradled panel
Original - $265



While the reference photo was mine, taken in the Uinta Mountain Wilderness near Mill Hollow and the composition was mine Susan helped me tweak the painting to help me make it the best I can make it.  All those little things can add up to make a much stronger overall impact.





No comments:

Post a Comment