Friday, August 15, 2014

Getting More Natural

It occurred to me in the middle of making my latest painting that the palette of colors I've been using this year had shifted the colors in my paintings to be very bright and saturated, especially the greens.  While generally speaking there is nothing wrong with bright, saturated colors I don't really think that's my style, at least it hadn't been until this year. I think maybe I really prefer a more natural look so I decided to return to a more limited palette that is just three primaries plus two earth colors and white, this is the result;

art painting landscape road rural acrylic tree

"The Road"

6" X 8", Acrylic on panel
Original - $60


Colors in nature tend to be less saturated, except for flowers of course.  I think the colors and tones in this painting are more accurate than most of my latest paintings have been.  I also think the less saturated colors result in a calmer feeling which I think suits the subject well. What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment